Peter Stephenson, surgeon, died Hexham in 1828

Home Forums Notes & Queries Peter Stephenson, surgeon, died Hexham in 1828

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Mary Harrison 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Mary Harrison

Hello: I’m researching Peter Stephenson, an apothecary surgeon who lived on Market Street in Hexham from about 1798 until his death in 1828. I would like to know exactly which building he lived in and have found an online copy of John Woods’ wonderful 1826 town plan of Hexham: https://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/007443FS.htm

It looks as if the names of some residents are identified on the map. Unfortunately, I cannot increase the size of the image to view the names clearly.

I wonder if anyone who has access to a better copy or image of the map would be willing to check to see if the name Stephenson is recorded on Market Street. Or, alternatively, can you point me in the direction of a larger online image of the map.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Kind regards,
    Mary Harrison

• #930 Reply

Mark Benjamin

Stephenson is not listed on Wood’s map so probably lived on the south side of Market Street. He does appear in Parson & White’s Directory of 1827 as living in Market Street but, sadly, no number is given.

• #931 Reply

Mary Harrison

Thank you, Mark, for checking this out for me. I was getting totally cross-eyed from trying to decipher the tiny print on the digitised map! “South side” will do.

Kind regards,
      Mary

Reply To: Peter Stephenson, surgeon, died Hexham in 1828
Your information: